Reading teachers and paraprofessionals from all five elementary schools spent Monday morning in a workshop session at Post Falls High School. Paraprofessionals were introduced to the basic format of the Idaho Core Standards in ELA as well as the new Smarter Balanced Assessment before diving into the six instructional shifts in ELA associated with the Common Core Standards.
If you’d like a refresher (or introduction) to the ELA Idaho Core Standards feel free to click through the Prezi used during the workshop. The Prezi contains valuable videos, links, and resources for each shift. They are also downloadable below.
Teachers and paraprofessionals walked away from the training with new tools for close reading and writing text-dependent questions as well as strategies for supporting at-risk readers in vocabulary development and writing from texts. Teachers also revisited the foundational skills that need to be taught at each grade level for students to meet the rigorous demands of informational text. Be sure to ask them to share some of their new knowledge!
- Scholastic Close Reading Graphic Organizer
- Stoplight Close Reading Strategy
- Close Readers Do These Things Anchor Chart
- Fisher & Fry “Close Reading in Elementary Schools” Article
- Marzano’s Six-Step Process for Teaching Academic Vocabulary
- Graphic Organizers for Vocabulary
- Digital Vocabulary Helpers
- Word Tiers Interactive
Writing from Sources
- O.R.E.O. Writing Graphic Organizer
- R.A.C.E. Writing Strategy
- Primary Transition Word Set
- Intermediate Transition Word Set
- Are You a Text Talker?
Check out the Prezi for videos and online links!