Last Thursday Post Falls teachers met at Seltice Elementary to share ideas for building students’ academic vocabularies in order to support more complex and rigorous reading tasks. Teachers worked to understand the difference between Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 vocabulary words. This was the fourth part of a six part ELA series focused on the Idaho Core Standards. Join us March 6 as we explore Text-Dependent Questioning and March 20 for Argumentative Writing.
Ponderosa Elementary teacher Kelly Howard created the Haiku Deck presentation above as part of a lesson for her third grade students.
Using Academic Vocabulary
- ELA Standards Related to Vocabulary K-5
- Marzano’s Six Step Process for Teaching Academic Vocabulary
- CCSS Text Exemplars & Planning for Academic Vocabulary Worksheet
- Edutopia: 11 Tips for Teaching Common Core Critical Vocabulary
- Edutopia: 8 Strategies for Teaching Academic Language
- Curriculum & Technology: Tier 2 Vocabulary Lists and Support
- Curriculum & Technology: Academic Vocabulary Digital Helpers
- Frayer Model Graphic Organizers
- Haiku Deck
Looking for resources from the previous three ELA workshop sessions? Visit this archived post. ELA: Idaho Core Workshop Resources.